God's Perspective on Suffering
Word of the Day: Perspective
The Big Idea Part 1:
Everyone suffers, but not everyone reacts to suffering the same way. Perspective can make all the difference.
The Big Idea Part 2:
Our perspective is limited and often undependable, but God’s perspective is eternal and life-giving no matter the circumstance.
The Father’s Perspective on the Sufferer
The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.”
• Sees you in your misery.
• Hears you when you cry out to him.
• Cares about your suffering.
The Son’s Perspective on the Sufferer
Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.”
But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death…
• Knows physical pain (Crucifixion)
• Knows mental anguish (Gethsemane)
• Knows spiritual isolation (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?)
• Knows the path to glory goes through suffering.
The Spirit’s Perspective on the Sufferer
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
• Prays for you when you can’t even pray for yourself.
• Enters into your suffering with you.
• Gives you life in the midst of your suffering.